Wednesday 4 December 2013

Another day spent in Hospital

Don't worry, was just routine stuff... Today's Agenda was:
- Blood tests
- Bone marrow test (If platelets were above 100)
- Clinic appointment at 11:20am to meet my Consultant

Ancy took the day off to be with me. Got there around 9:30 in the morning and was there till about 4pm, so almost spent the whole day there... :) Now, the blood tests were to check is all the counts (Hb, platelets and neutrophils) were recovering well. And they also needed to make sure the platelets were above 100 to do a Bone marrow test.

Ok, quick Bio lesson (Thanks Wikipedia):
- Hb: #Haemoglobin in the blood carries oxygen from the respiratory organs to the rest of the body (i.e. the tissues) where it releases the oxygen to burn nutrients to provide energy to power the functions of the organism, and collects the resultant carbon dioxide to bring it back to the respiratory organs to be dispensed from the organism.
- Platelets: #Platelets are a natural source of growth factors. They circulate in the blood and are involved in haemostasis, basically helps in blood clotting.
- Neutrophils: #Neutrophils form most of the WBCs in the body and are responsible for our immunity.

Now, a Bone marrow test is done under local anaesthesia, and they poke into the back of your pelvic bone, where the most bone marrow is produced. I know it sounds painful... and at times it can be. I have had it done around 10 times now (they do it after every chemo cycle, to test that the bone marrow is functioning well, and is in remission). Remission means being free of blasts or cancerous cells. Of the 10 times, 2 were really bad. The best time it was over in 10mins, the worst took around an hour...

For the faint-hearted, be strong. I drove back after most of these procedures, and today also I took the tube back home (an hour journey). There is discomfort for a day or two, but nothing we cannot handle. I am sitting at my desk, blogging now, without any pain-killers, so rest assured it is bearing pain. It’s just that the last time was the time it took an hour and I was sincerely praying that the same doctor doesn't do the procedure. Sadly, she was there today! lol... I told the nurses to get me another doctor as I didn't want to go through the hour long pain again. But God plans everything... It just made me pray more the whole morning... ;)

Finally, when my turn came, guess what, the same doctor! I'm sure the nurses might have told her that I didn't want her doing the procedure. But she was still nice to me and tried to convince me that it’s a blind procedure, and at times can take time to find the right spot. It might be because my marrow is reluctant to come out, etc etc. I kept listening, but in my mind was thinking about how the procedure would be and that it all depends on her skills and she is covering that part up... hehe...

Anyways, it started at around 3:15pm and I was praying really hard. Kept mumbling over and over again "thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus for a fast test, thank you that there is no pain, thank you Jesus...!" Guess what... It was over by 3:30pm... :) She didn't get the spot the first time, and I was anticipating another hour of torture, but by God’s grace she got it right the second attempt and everything was done in about 15mins. Awesome right…!

Points to take away:
- Fear not, it's something that has to be done. Be strong.
- It doesn't only depend on the doctor's skill, but various other factors.
- While the #BoneMarrow test is being done, taking long slow breathes helps with the pain.

To potential Stem cell donors:
Please don't think this is going to be done to you. This procedure is for the privileged few, the brave who are battling cancer. :) If you are ever found to be a match, in 80% of cases the Stem cells are extracted from your peripheral blood. And this percentage is ever increasing as they perfect the #PBSC procedure. Even if for some reason they need to do a bone marrow harvest, it's done under general anaesthesia, so you feel no pain during the procedure and just some soreness later (like I'm feeling now). Each one has their own views, but think about that little soreness, that little time you need to sacrifice - against the joy and greatness you will feel for saving a LIFE...!!! And become a real true life HERO...!

Our faith gets tested like this at times, but no matter what happens, cling onto our #Creator, because he has the best laid out for you...

No comments:

Post a Comment