Friday 13 December 2013

Not so free afterall...

So, the PIC line was removed last Saturday. I was glad that finally I'd be free and can use my left arm better. But guess what, I've been tied down since and its gonna be another few more days I guess...

For those who haven't read the last post, I was developing some rash and blisters due to the plastic dressing used to cover the insertion point of the PIC line. It had been in there for over 3 months, and the skin was not taking it anymore. So when the line was taken out, there was a few blisters and the skin was tender. The nurse put a cloth dressing till the PIC wound heals and said I can take it off in a day or two. I took the dressing out on Monday, and guess what - the whole upper arm was inflamed. The skin was all red, and it was all covered in blisters...!!!

Since it did not subside, they called me back to Hospital, and I spent most of Wednesday in the day unit. They were suspecting #Shingles, so I was kept in isolation and given a nice bed too... As it wasn't the usual sitting position of the day unit, I didn't mind the usual long wait. Shingles is caused by a virus similar to the chicken pox virus. It's contagious by touch, and for those who haven't had chicken pox before, it seems they develop chicken pox. So Ancy and me were a bit worried as she has never had chicken pox before.

Anyways, they took blood samples, blood cultures, swabs of the pus, etc. And finally, they decided to send me home on antibiotics for the rash, until the swab test results get back.

The skin is terribly itchy and I can't tell you how I am controlling the urge to scratch all over... :) Although the last few days have been painful and it doesn't look like subsiding any time soon, the good news is that the swab tests and blood tests were all negative (no shingles). So amidst the severe rash and uneasiness, its good to know that its not gonna be worse. Praise God...

Please do continue to pray for me, so that this allergy/rash subsides soon. I'm due for #StemCell collection next week, so need to be well by mid of next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment