Friday 20 December 2013

Stem cell harvest...

5.51million... I wish this were a figure in £ or $ or even Indian Rupees... :) None the less, its a very good figure that was achieved. In terms of the #stemcell harvest that was done over the last 2 days. As some of you might have read my previous post (on injecting myself), I was due for this procedure, in order to collect my own stem cells. This would be one transplant option for me down the line (if the collected stem cells are MRD-negative, cancer-free), in the form of an #autologous stem cell #transplant.

Anyways, just wanted to share my experience to all those concerned about my health and also to potential #stemcell donors. Firstly, I feel NO different to what I felt before the stem cell collection. I've had a normal day today, watching television, surfing the web, making lunch (my wife did all the chopping, and I had to just grill my healthy sandwiches) and now I'm blogging... Oh yes, the grill was messy and I spent over half an hour cleaning it too. My dear wife and friends had grilled all sorts of stuff on it during the charity fund raiser last Saturday, and it took me a long time to get all the grease out... :)

So if someone who has gone through so much chemo can tolerate and be fit the next day, I'm sure all you healthy people out there will do just fine.

For those who are new to this, the stem cell harvest is done by #PBSC method, where an #Apheresis machine helps extract the stem cells from your peripheral blood. It's a really clever piece of equipment which centrifuges the blood and because different components of the blood have different densities, they separate and can be extracted. The nurse technician was saying its not the machine thats key, BUT actually it is those stimulation injections (like #GCSF and #plerixafor) which have really boosted the power of the PBSC procedure which is being used more and more now.

What to expect on the day?
Well, it's pretty similar to whats advertised and shown on the web. You get two pokes (initially a needle, but thats removed once the vein is found) on each arm. The exact location depends on where they can find a straight bit of vein. If you're scared of needles, think about the greater cause and the life you'll save. It takes some time to setup, but once started its a 4-5 hours process. The initial needle pain settles soon and then you have to just relax and wait. The nurse was always besides me incase I needed anything.

While on the machine, your movement is restricted a bit, but you can carry on eating, talking or sleeping as normal. I tried sleeping, but being me was not able to shut down... I was texting, whatsapping and even did a google hangout session with my parents and sister, to see the stunts my little nephew Jordan was doing in #Pune. Mid-way, I felt a slight tingling feeling on the lips, but on a scale of 1 to 10, it was around 1-2. And towards the last 15-20mins the tingling sensation was a little more, maybe a 4 on 10. It a known side effect due to the anti-coagulant used to keep the blood from clotting.

For me, the worst part of the procedure was controlling the urge to use the toilet. On the first day, before the start of the procedure I went to the loo twice, and still the last half hour was a real stretch. I was counting minutes, to be taken off the machine, so I could rush to the toilet... lol... The finish of the second day was much much better. Why? Because I didn't even last half the way... ;) I guess I didn't drain enough before the start, and half way through the sensation started. I tried controlling, but there was no way I could last another 2-3hrs, so I asked the nurse for a urine bottle. Then the curtains closed and there was a looong sigh of relief (with zero spillage). That's why when the procedure finished, I was in no rush... So best advise I can give, don't bother controlling...

Also, on the first day, I was treated like a king, because a kind lady was going around the hospital, with a huge Classical #Harp, and playing melodious tunes. I thought it would be for some charity or fund raiser, but she was doing it completely voluntarily. Using her own estate car, to lug that huge Harp (she had a trolley for it too) and playing music for patients at the hospital. I'm no good appreciating music, but the gesture was awesome. Going completely out of your way for strangers...!!

Finally, about the numbers... When donating stem cells, the required count depends on the weight of the recipient. In my case, as I was my own donor, they wanted atleast 2millions stem cells and 4millions would be much better. You know the CD34 count I was talking about, the unit is actually in million. So earlier when they wanted my count to be over 10, it meant 10million. Out of whats in the peripheral blood, the apheresis machine can extract 8-10% only. On the first morning, my CD34 count was 33, and they were able to collect 3.06million. Second day, it was around 21, and they were able to collect 2.45million. And thats how we got to the 5.51million figure.


After the procedure, like I mentioned, I'm feeling perfectly normal. They do repeat blood tests at the end of the cycle and top up any missing nutrients. For me, they gave me some magnesium and potassium supplements as only those had dropped a tiny bit. Because almost all the blood (sans the stem cells) are returned to your body, there is no lose to you anyways. I've felt much much worse after a day long session of cricket. Trust me! I've had days after cricket, where I have had to have pain-killers and rest my back and use all sorts of massagers for different parts of the body. :)

Potential Donors: You will be healthy enough to have much more stem cells in the peripheral blood and so in most cases will require only 1 day of this procedure. The Doctors and nurses are always around to help and advise in your particular case, all depending on the needs of the recipient. So no matter what happens, don't back out when the time actually comes to save a life...

Take care,
Jeson
Thank you Lord Jesus for keeping me save and blessing me so abundantly...!

No comments:

Post a Comment