Saturday 14 December 2013

Injected myself today... twice...!

As the search for an unrelated donor continues, the doctors are trying alternative options too. First being to collect my own stem cells, test it and make sure it is cancer free and give that back to me as a transplant. This is called an #autologous #stemcell transplant. They tried collection off the back of my third chemo cycle, but I didn't mobilize enough to go onto the #apheresis machine. Let me explain that line in more detail first...
  • Off the back: that’s the lingo used. Simply means at the end of my chemo cycle, they give me #G-CSF injections, to boost my stem cell counts, and push it into the peripheral blood.
  • G-CSF (Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor): As per wiki, it is a glycoprotein that stimulates the bone marrow to produce granulocytes and stem cells and release them into the bloodstream (peripheral blood).
  • Didn't mobilize: They do a test called CD34 count, to check the amount of stem cells in the peripheral blood. And for a good collection it needs to be above 10. Mine wasn't even 1 at the time, hence they used to lingo didn't mobilize.
  • Apheresis machine: It is the machine used to separate platelets or in my case stem cells. The blood is drawn out of one arm, goes through this machine which does the separation and then the remaining blood is returning into the other arm.
Now, back to why I injected myself... Since I did not mobilize earlier, they have slotted me to go onto the apheresis machine again, on Dec 18th (coming Wednesday). And prior to this, as any normal stem cell donor would have to do, I have to get these #GCSF injections. I have started the injections today, will do the same tomorrow and on Monday too. On Tuesday I go to the Hospital where they do blood tests and if need be give me another #mobilization injection called #Plerixafor. Before I got 300µgrams (that’s micrograms), but this time it’s a higher doze to get me to properly mobilize. They come in different syringe sizes and I got the 300µgrams and 480µgrams syringes, making a total of 780µgrams for my body weight. That’s why 2 syringes and hence 2 injections.

Why I did it myself...? Well, if not I would have to travel to the hospital in the cold, or else wait a whole day for a local nurse to come and do this simple injection. And for those who know me, I don't like waiting. I was never scared of needles and it never bothered me. But injecting myself was different and I did not fancy doing it. Yes, there might have been a little fear. But towards the end of the last chemo cycle, when I realised that eventually I'd have to get some injections at home, I decided to brave it and under the supervision of the nurse, injected myself the last two days in hospital. These injections are specially made and can be easily self-administered with very little risk - extremely thin needles, with spring action that pulls out the needle quickly after the doze is given (check the pic above). I must say I didn't do the second injection properly and it didn't click, so had to manually pull out the needle. So had very very little blood came out, like a tiny rain drop. Absolutely normal and I’ve had a bit of blood come out even when the nurses did the injection in hospital.

Why I'm writing all this in so much detail? I thought of two reasons:
1. To give courage to all you potential stem cell donors.
There have been many new donors who have signed up during the various drives conducted for me and others like me, and that is great. But IF and WHEN the time comes and you are identified as a match for someone (your gene twin), PLEASE don't have second thoughts. You would be the person's only hope, so don't let any fear or doubt come to your mind. If I can inject myself and be perfectly fine, you can take a few stabs too right? Remember, it is to save a life and it cannot compare to the highly insignificant pain you ‘might’ have to go through.

2. To pray for me.
Pray that these injections work well, and my body produces good stem cells. Pray that I properly inject myself the next couple of days… :) Pray that the stem cell collection process goes ahead smoothly on the 18th of this month. And most important, pray that the collected stem cells are fully free of blasts/cancerous cells.

Once the CD34 count goes above 10, next step is going on the apheresis machine, and I'll let you all know about that experience too.

PS: Please don't think or say how brave or strong I am. My strength comes from the Lord, who made the Heavens and the Earth. Who came down as man, and died on the cross and has already paid the price for my healing... Please read John 11:4


Keep the faith, believe and be positive...

No comments:

Post a Comment