Monday 9 December 2013

PICC removed last weekend


My left arm feels relaxed now, as the PIC line has been removed. It was in there for around 3 months now and was used for the 2nd and 3rd chemo cycles. As it was in there so long, the skin around the insertion point had got really sore, with blisters forming. It was getting really itchy, so I requested the Doctor if it could be removed, as there was another few weeks before the transplant happens and they could put a new line in at that time.

Now, you ask what a PIC line is? Let’s start from the beginning of my treatment, so I can tell you about the Hickman line too... :)

When I was first diagnosed last year, I had 3 rounds of chemotherapy and all the treatment was done using whats called a Hickman line (name after one of its inventors). The #Hickman line is a central venous catheter, that is inserted on one side of your chest most, and it goes into your main vein leading to the heart. The peripherally inserted central catheter (#PICC or PIC line), on the other hand is inserted in a peripheral vein in the arm, and then advanced to a larger vein close to the heart. 
Hickman line
PIC line
Both the Hickman line and the PIC line are used for long term treatment like chemotherapy. They also serve as a means of giving #intravenous medication (like antibiotics or fluids), giving blood transfusions and they are also used for drawing blood for analysis/tests. Inserting the hickman line is a more complicated and more painful procedure, but it has a larger tube and hence has less chances of clotting and giving trouble. So there are pros and cons.

This time when I relapsed, for the first course of chemo, they did put a hickman line in. But towards the end of the treatment, it got infected and was leading to high fevers, so they decided to remove the line. This lead to the insertion of the PIC line for the first time. #God works in strange ways... You see, having the hickman line on the chest is more disturbing and uncomfortable - compared to having the line on your arm. Especially, for me it was not possible to sleep on my front! Anyways, I had to go through severe high fevers (apparently called rigors), for the Hickman line to be pulled out and then get the new PIC line in from the 2nd course of chemotherapy. It was a great relief and much easier to manage and do day to day things. I did end up getting rashes and the skin getting sore, but that might be my skin reaction to the plastic dressing which has been on for the last 3 months. I had similar reactions with the Hickman line too.

In most cases, removal of a PICC is a much simpler procedure as compared to the hickman line. And for me, it was just that. As compared to the pulling/cutting/pushing of getting the hickman line out (which I have gone through twice already), it was so much easier to get the PIC line out. The nurse simply pulled the whole line out with great ease. When the line was out there was slight bleeding, so she applied some pressure for a couple of minutes and then a sterile dressing. Hardly any pain...!

If you're faced with the need to use any of the above methods, do speak to your Doctor, don't take my experience as the only basis for your decision. Although the hickman line is more painful while inserting and removing, and it does require more care - there can be good medical reasons why they might want to use the hickman line. For me, it was an admin reason. The hospital closer to my home, where I was treated last year and had the first course of chemo this year - they only did hickman lines! Guess I should start a petition to get them to insert PIC lines too. It doesn't require an operation theatre - just a sterile room with a properly trained and qualified nurse... :)

I'll take off the dressing soon now, and be able to wash the whole left arm properly. And maybe do some exercises to strengthen the arm. They will insert a new PIC line when needed, but for now, I'm a free man...

#Psalms 107:1 - Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever...

No comments:

Post a Comment